Saturday, March 29, 2008

Heny Sison's Cafe S. Benedetto

I saw the Cafe while looking at the cooking classes offered by Heny Sison's Cooking School. The first thing that caught my eyes were the cakes on display. My belief was that their cakes must be good since they're from Heny Sison, who taught baking for a living.


**Cafe Benedetto sells cakes by the whole, slice or single (mini version)


Right off the bat, I wanted to try the Creme Brulee Cake P75, which I was later told was also their best seller.


I ordered it to go since I just had dinner at kublai's Rock & almost finished an entire Polly's Chocolate Cake.


The Creme Brulee Cake is a sandwich of chiffon cake & cream with custard and caramelized sugar on top.The custard is just right, not too sweet. It is reminiscent of a brazo de mercedes only better. It is a type of cake that I would love to have over & over.



Just as I thought that my next meal there would happen after a week or so, I was wrong.

I was there the next day with my mother. For lunch, we had Fish & Chips P220 and Salmon in Vodka Cream Sauce & Caviar Pasta P185.


The Fish & Chips is made of battered cream dory fillet, served with fries & 2 kinds of dips. My mother is a rice-addict that she had it with rice instead.

The fish tastes fresh & just lightly battered. The 2 dips were herb mayo-mustard & spiced vinegar. We both preferred the mayo-mustard over the vinegar.


The Salmon in Vodka Cream Sauce with Caviar Pasta comes with toasted buttered foccacia bread.


The pasta is sooo good. It's creamy but not nauseatingly rich. Good combination & choice of ingredients. The foccacia is also good. I can't wait to have it again.

Since there's always room for dessert, we ordered Ensaymada P30 and Strawberry Cheesecake P75/slice.


They warmed up the ensaymada, to the point where the buttercream is dripping on the sides & the cheese slowly melting.

It is good, better than Eurobake's.


The Strawberry Cheesecake is similar to a japanese cheesecake but thicker in taste. Since I love japanese cheesecake over the western cheesecake, I like Benedetto's version but only third to Uno & Coffee Bean.

And as if eating there wasn't good enough, we went back later in the afternoon to have food to go.

We bought 2 orders of Spaghetti with Wild Mushroom Cream Sauce P180 and an order again of the Salmon Pasta. We also bought Pistachio Macaroon P25, Malunggay Pandesal P66/12pcs, Whole Wheat Pandesal P50 and Raisin Bread P50/4pcs.


The Raisin Bread tastes creamy & sweet. No need to add any more spread 'coz it tastes good on its own.


The Malunggay Pandesal tastes & smells of malunggay but devoid of its slightly bitter taste.



The Spaghetti with Wild Mushroom Cream Sauce was not as tasty & creamy as the salmon pasta or was it because they crammed that huge amount of pasta in such a small container, thus draining most of its sauce?

I recommend that you refrain from having your pasta to go or bringing your own container until the time they change theirs or you won't be able to enjoy it to its absolute potential.


The Pistachio Macaroon for me is not worthy of its price, it's too plain-tasting.

I suggest that they add more to their main dish repertoire, 'coz they only have 3 choices as of present, iberian chicken, salpicao & fish & chips. They should also change their take-out container to something bigger.

Overall, they serve delicious food, from pasta to cakes and the service is fast and friendly.


Happy Eating!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...